What is Microblading?
Microblading is a less invasive form of permanent makeup that uses a disposable manual hand tool with ‘micro blades’ that deposit semi-permanent pigment into the superficial dermis of the skin. Microblading creates the most natural looking eyebrows by creating crisp hair strokes to mimic your natural eyebrow hair. This method is ideal for anyone wanting to enhance the look of their eyebrows.
- You are under 18
- Pregnant or breast feeding
- History of Keloids or Hypertrophic Scarring
- Diabetic (require doctor’s clearance)
- Chemotherapy (consult your doctor)
- Viral infections and/or diseases(HIV, Hepatitis)
- Organ transplant
- Skin irritations or Psoriasis near the treated area (rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
- Sick (cold, flu, etc.)
- Accutane in the past year
- Heart conditions, Uncontrolled High Blood Pressure, Pacemaker
- Any bleeding disorders (doctor’s note is required)You’re taking blood thinning medication
- You’ve recently had Botox or Disport treatment (must wait 2 months)
- Tattooed brows – Microblading is possible, however, inks may not stay effectively
- You have a broken capillary in the eyebrows area
- After waxing (must wait 3 days)
- After chemical peels (must wait two weeks)
- You have glaucoma or taking blood thinning medicines (e.g., aspirin, warfarin)
- You have active skin cancer
How long does a Microblading treatment take?
Microblading is a 2 step process (not including consultation), usually 5-10 weeks apart. It is important to complete both the initial procedure and touch up. We recommend coming in for a complimentary 30-minute consultation to make sure you are a good candidate for this procedure. It is helpful at this time to bring in pictures of the results you want to accomplish. During this time, we will discuss your desired brow look, choose a color tone, and draw the initial outline of the procedure area for your approval.
STEP 1: The initial procedure takes approximately 3 hours. Though our faces are NOT perfectly symmetrical (one side is usually flatter than the other), we do our very best to create as much symmetry as possible! Once you are satisfied with the basic shape and symmetry, the area is then traced over and a semi-permanent pigment is applied with a disposable microblading hand tool. This procedure uses a manual hand tool and not a machine.
STEP 2: The second stage of the treatment is a TOUCH UP appointment. The touch up takes approximately 1 hour and is included in your service. Touch ups are done no earlier than 5 weeks of your initial procedure and no later than 10 weeks. If you do not schedule your touch up within 10 weeks, you will be required to pay a touch up fee.
It is IMPERATIVE you complete the touch-up treatment. Without it, the results will not be optimal. Color will fade significantly within 4 weeks as the skin heals, peels and fades. The touch up corrects any irregularities in the micro-bladed hair strokes, color tones and finishes the process.
**Occasionally a third touch up (4-6 weeks later) is necessary for certain clients where the pigment does not take as well to the skin.**
How long can I expect it to last?
The pigment used in micro-blading is semi-permanent and can last between 1-3 years. The pigment will begin to fade within 12 months. In order to keep your brows looking fresh, a touch up is recommended every 12 months to 24 months maximum. After 2 years, full price for microblading will apply.
For clients that choose a softer look and lighter color shade initially or those who did not follow the aftercare instructions properly may require more frequent touch-ups.
Factors that will cause your microbladed brow tattoo fade faster:
- Iron deficiency
- Sun exposure
- Strong immune systems
- Exposure to salt water
Does the application hurt?
We take every precaution necessary to ensure the microblading procedure is as pain-free as possible. A strong topical anesthetic cream is used prior to and during the procedure to keep you as comfortable as possible. Some clients find the procedure a little uncomfortable while others report no discomfort at all.
How long is the recovery or healing time?
Immediately after your microblading procedure, and in the first 10 days, your brows will appear significantly darker and defined than perhaps your desired look. It may continue to get darker over the next few days as scabs begin to form, however, this is not an accurate indication of the finished and healed result. 30-50% of your brow color will fade as the scabs fall off within 7-10 days. In some cases, the scabs may take longer to heal and fall off. DO NOT PICK YOUR SCABS. The pigment is within the scab and you do not want to pull any pigment out of your skin prematurely. We all heal differently and what works on one client may not be effective on another so please do not compare your results.The complete healing process takes approximately 6 weeks.
How do you choose a color?
We choose a color together by applying small amounts of different colored pigments to the skin near to your brows and selecting the best match for your skin tone, features, and personal preference. As a rule of thumb, we closely match the color of your brow hair rather than your current hair color for the most natural results.
What types of pigments do you use?
We use iron oxide pigments that will fade over time and are naturally absorbed by the skin. Iron oxides are innocuous, harmless and perfectly safe for your skin.
Are there any side effects during or after the procedure?
During the procedure, there may be some minor bleeding. This depends on the client. If you take blood thinners on a daily basis, then some slight bleeding may occur. Bruising is rare but can occur. There is usually some tenderness for a few days.
- Infection: Infection is very unusual. The areas treated must be kept clean, and only freshly cleaned hands should touch the areas. See “After Care” sheet for instruction on care.
- Uneven Pigmentation: This can result from poor healing, infection, bleeding, or many other causes. Your follow-up appointment will likely correct any uneven appearance.
- Asymmetry: Every effort will be made to avoid asymmetry, but our faces are not symmetrical, so adjustments may be needed during the follow-up session to correct any unevenness.
- Excessive Swelling or Bruising: Some people bruise or swell more than others. Ice packs may help reduce the swelling. The swelling or bruising typically disappears in 1-5 days. Some people don’t bruise or swell at all.
- Anesthetics: Topical anesthetics are used to numb the area to be tattooed. Lidocaine, Prilocaine, Benzocaine, Tetracaine, and/or Epinephrine cream and/or liquid are used. If you are allergic to any of these, please inform us now.
- MRI: Because pigments used in Permanent Cosmetic procedures contain inert oxides, a low-level magnet may be required if you need to be scanned by an MRI machine. You must inform your MRI Technician of any tattoos or permanent cosmetics.
The alternative to these possibilities is to use traditional cosmetic and NOT undergo the Semi-Permanent Eyebrow procedure.
PLEASE NOTE: THE RESULTS ARE VERY NATURAL AND FULLER LOOKING BROW. INITIALLY, THE BROWS APPEAR DARKER BUT FADE SIGNIFICANTLY OVER A TWO WEEK PERIOD. THEREFORE, IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL TO HAVE A TOUCH UP DONE. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO PREDICT HOW WELL YOUR SKIN WILL RETAIN THE PIGMENT. AS A RESULT, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE YOUR RESULTS.
Customer Intake Form
Please fill out and bring in this form when you come in for your appointment.